Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cello Lesson, February 26, 2010

Lesson was an extra 30 minutes as B, B and I played trios. Great fun and we sounded pretty good. Matz trios are easy, but with 3 cellos, the sound was good.

Actual lesson was OK, especially considering I hadn't practiced as much as usual. Played Schroeder #39 and Bach Bouree and first part of Gigue from 3rd Cello Suite.

Schroeder

I was playing too much over the fingerboard; need to pay more attention to that. Also, my bow was too tight; must have tightened it twice or something. Need to also pay attention to thumb on right hand; I'm not bending it correctly at the first knuckle. Look at Potter, page 23 for correct right hand configuration.

Go back to working on bow distribution exercises; Metronome set at 60; count 12, 8, 4 and pay attention to thumb and grip. Throughout the Schroeder, the F# were not high enough. Can use the whole bow in this exercise.

Will continue to fine tune #39 but can also go on to #40 and either #41 or #42.

Bouree

Need to play more gracefully. Need to pay attention to where the bow is and get it off the fingerboard. Thumb must be in the crook when playing in 4th position. B suggested that I only write in fingerings when I am shifting to notes. Don't write in every fingering. I may play better without all the numbers cluttering up the music. I've been doing this with orchestra music; now must do it with lesson music.

On second Bouree, watch intonation; because this is played primarily on the D string the fingers will be closer together than if played in first position. This is especially important toward the top of the fingerboard.

Gigue

Make sure to ring the note in the bootstrap section. Use flycasting. Try singing the melody and then matching the bowing to the melody.

Will not have a lesson next Friday, March 5th as I'll still be in the hospital finishing up the first go round of chemotherapy.

1 comment: