Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Chemotherapy Affects Cello

I have been home from the hospital almost a week and a half following the first of four chemotherapy sessions. Prior to session #1 I was playing OK; no effects. Following chemotherapy I've noticed a definite decline in playing, especially problems with the bow grip. My overall right arm seems to have gone to sleep; it is very difficult to grip the bow properly, to hang on to the bow and to make a decent sound.

Attempted a rehearsal with St. Cloud and had to leave early as I had major back problems associated with an Lunesta injection, following completion of the first chemo treatment, and a general inability to play the music. This was VERY distressful as I wondered if this would be permanent and whether I'd be able to keep playing in my orchestras.

Will have a lesson Friday; B has emailed me ideas to strengthen the bow grip and entire right arm/hand issue. Lesson will be 30 minutes instead of usual hour as I don't think I could sit still or play for an hour without major back problems. She also has some adaptive things we will try tomorrow.

Went back to an earlier Schroeder, #20, and have had some luck in playing it as it is easier. Will try playing easy scales tomorrow.

Did fly casting exercise on all open strings.

Playing the first page of Klengel scales has really helped today. Will only play these as I can concentrate on right hand issues and not worry too much about correct fingering. Played 3 or 4 times already today and each time felt stronger.

Am also trying to work on the first part of the gigue in the 3rd cello suite. This is still pretty rough but gives me something to strive for. Having some problems with up and down bowings, but marked all the up bows in bright red so maybe that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment