Friday, January 22, 2010

January 22, 2010 Cello Lesson

Played Schroeder #37 for the last time for a lesson. Started out OK, but then went back to previous bad habits.

Played Schroeder #38 for the first time (up to the fermata). Instead of playing at the point, B said to play between point and mid bow. This should make #38 more manageable. Play attention to the dynamics in the piece. In the long crescendo at the top of the second page, subdivide the measures from p to ff in order to gradually play louder. Make sure to leave enough bow to play the 16th notes. Let the bow continue through the air.

Bouree I and II

As expected, played both horribly. Earlier in the week I was doing OK with them, but as of late Wed. I noticed a definite decline in the quality.

In addition to every other comment about I and II:

I am playing too fast; set tempo at 60 and see if that helps. Use fly casting techniques, which we went over during the lesson, to help keep the bow moving and make the notes ring. The bow needs to keep traveling in the air. Start I closer to the frog (about 4 to 5 inches). In measures 4 and 5, play the C/G part of the chord almost as part of the G in measure 4.

Bouree II was especially terrible. Hopefully the slower tempo will help me.

Exercises to work on this week:

Flycasting: (straighten my elbow)
Vibrato: (fast, barely touching the string between first and fourth positions and then gradually slowing down)
Dynamics: On an open string, play softest up to loudest

Hopefully when I start feeling better my lessons will improve as will my overall practicing and playing in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment