Sunday, December 13, 2009

Bach Suite III Bouree I and II

January 29

In I, still not watching the dynamics; also played too fast

In II, play pianissimo throughout. Make sure the bow travels and make sure to use the whole bow. Make sure that Bouree I and Bouree II are very different in style. Be more confident.
Put fingers down firmly when playing.

For next week, will continue to work on Bouree I and II but will also work on the first part of the Gigue. B wrote in fingerings, bowings, etc. No staccato where she slurred the bowing.


Played Bouree I and II for lesson on January 8, 2010. Actually went better than I thought it would.

Bouree I:
Make sure to show difference between P and F dynamics, especially in measure 2. In measure 6, play smoothly and evenly, not skippy and eractic like I did. Overall, play p for those sections that are not the main theme of the piece.

Bouree II:
This has a very different feel than the first Bouree; it is seemless, dream sequence, hazy, pastel and muted tones. Even though ther piece has many staccato marks, ignore them. Most of the piece is played p. In the first play through, use first position; in the repeat, play in 2nd position. Make sure the CC chords throughout are in tune. The chord can be broken.

I will start working on these pieces for my next lesson, which is January 8, 2010. Unsure of the bowings; I have 5 different versions of the Suites, ranging from virtual sheet music to the Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics and the bowings are different in every version. I think I'll go with the Schirmer and hope for the best. My main concern will be the notes, tempo, dynamics; if I can get those decent in the next 3 weeks hopefully any bowing changes B makes won't completely throw me.

January 15, 2010


Bouree I

There is not enough difference in the dynamics. Keep the bow moving. Use index finger to help control the bow especially in 6-9 and 27-29. Make sure those sections are even and not skippy.

Overall, I is still too punchy; needs to be more fluid. Lots of squeaking; make sure fingers are firmly on the strings.

Bouree II

Recheck fingerings; should not be any fourth fingers played above the D on the D string.

Overall, use more bow.

Will stay in 2nd position throughout II.

No comments:

Post a Comment