Saturday, October 17, 2009

Orchestra Notes

November 18, 2009

Concert last night went well; much better than I thought based on our weak dress rehearsal on Monday evening.

Viewed recording after concert; I displayed almost every technical fault B has been bringing to my attention during my lessons.

Fourth finger stuck in the air
Short, sawing type bow strokes; not always, but enough
Looking at the fingerboard to make sure fingers are in right place
Playing too close to the fingerboard; chalk on fingerboard proved that
Not enough vibrato, though I consciously tried to vibrato when appropriate
And I'm sure there were many other "mistakes"

Video is like a documentary on "How to Not Play the Cello"
Will try to transfer to a DVD so can share it with other orchestra members, though not sure how they will enjoy watching two cellos for over 60 minutes.

Cello "sound" was OK; probably because euphonium player overplayed the cellos.

November 17, 2009

This is a really busy week; three concerts. Last night was "dress rehearsal" for the concert this evening. Didn't think we'd ever finish. I felt rusty as I had missed the previous two weeks of practice; not so much with the notes, but with tempo changes, etc. Program tonight seems long and unfortunately the last piece is Grease. Hopefully I'll have enough energy left to play the "solo" part well. Jane is conducting Chicago and does a great job; very easy to follow.

Saturday is the concert for the city employees and Sunday is the combined orchestra/choir Thanksgiving Concert.

At least the week is not filled with doctor appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment